Perfect Pot Roast - Chuck Roast
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 3-5 pound Chuck roast
- 2-3 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 whole Onions, pealed and halved
- 6-8 whole carrots, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup Red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2-3 sprigs Fresh rosemary
- 2-3 sprigs Fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Generously salt and pepper chuck roast
- Heat olive oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add halved onions, browning on both sides. Remove onions to plate
- Throw carrots into the same hot pot, toss them around until slightly browned (about a minute or so). Reserve carrots with the onions on the side
- If needed, add a bit more olive oil to hot pot. Place meat in pot and sear for about a minute on each side until there is a nice brown all over. Remove roast to a plate
- With burner still on, use one cup of red wine to deglaze pot. Scraping bottom with a whisk. Place roast back into pot and add enough beef broth to cover the meat half way.
- Add onions and carrots, along with fresh herbs
- Put a lid on, then roast for 3 hours for a 3-pound roast. 4 hours for a 4-5 pound roast. Roast is ready when it falls apart and tender
- Once roast is falling apart, serve and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!